red bulls nba team

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Rollin' in the Dough!

I figured it's time to start testing out pies for the First Lady's Pie Contest that will be at the Fair. With $600 in cash prizes, a blue ribbon could have you rolling in the dough! Today I made a super easy, sweet and tasty Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, this was the first pie I ever made! If I can do it I'm pretty sure anyone can. I will admit that I made a few rookie mistakes i.e. not putting tin foil under the pie which left me with a dirty oven. Here's the recipe from a super old Betty Crocker Cookbook, in case you want to give it a try to get you warmed up for the pie contest.

9 inch pastry for two-crust pie
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 cups fresh rhubarb
1 cup strawberries

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry. Mix sugar and flour. Turn half the rhubarb & strawberries into the pastry-lined pie plate; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining rhubarb & strawberry and sugar mixture. Cover with top crust that has slits cut in it; seal and flute. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge with a 2 to 3 inch strip of aluminum foil, remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.

Bake until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust, 40 to 50 minutes. That's it! Good Luck in the contest but don't forget about all of the Fair's other contests, last year we gave away nearly $230,000 in prize money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...