red bulls nba team

Friday, September 24, 2010

Coach Leaman receives a five year extension

So why is it that whenever important college hockey news occurs I'm in class? First it was the Penn State press conference and now it's this great news. I mean I only have three hours of class time a week this term, but the college hockey world just has to go nuts while I can't fully monitor it. Luckily, I have my new Droid X so I can follow twitter. While my class today was getting a little "bland" I decided to check Twitter, which was when I read Ken Schott's breaking news that Union Head Coach Nate Leaman will receive a five year contract extension.

Ok, so enough about me and more about Leaman. This is such great news! Leaman has brought this program from cellar dweller and insignificance to a ECAC power that receives national recognition. He deserves every penny he receives (and he probably deserves more). In the three years that I've been here he's led the team to their first first round bye in the ECAC playoffs, their first playoff series win, and their first trip to the ECAC Final Four an championship game. Not only has he brought in and coached Union greats such as Lane Caffaro, Mario Valery-Trabucco, Jason Walters, and Mike Schreiber, he continues to bring in top notch recruits. This is probably the most amazing thing that Leaman has done considering Union can't give out athletic scholarships and has a lot less money at their disposal than most college hockey teams. Even though their is a lack of scholarship, good players continue to come to Schenectady to play for Leaman. If one person were to get all the credit for Union's recent success it 100% has to be Leaman. I won't be surprised if the Dutchmen win their first ECAC championship and make their first NCAA tournament appearance under Leaman very soon.

Here are some great quotes from Ken Schott's report:

"Nate's been nothing short of remarkable," Union athletic director Jim McLaughlin said. "The progress that has been made over the past seven years has been outstanding. It's not only been what we've seen on the ice, from the first playoff series win to advancing to the championship to runners-up in this league, which is a very difficult league, it's been what's going on off the ice, from his students' academic performance and their community service. I couldn't be more pleased with his leadership and what he has done here."

"I love it here," Leaman said. "I love coming to the rink every day. I love our staff. I think we have a terrific staff. I love the fact that our players can get an outstanding education and compete for championships. That's what I love about Union College. The tri-semester system allows the guys to have the best of both worlds."

So, congrats Nate! You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...