red bulls nba team

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pennsylvania gets 2013 and 2014 Frozen Fours

The NCAA has announced that the 2013 Frozen Four has been awarded to Pittsburgh and the brand new Consol Energy Center, while Philadelphia and the Wachovia Center was awarded the 2014 Frozen Four. This is the first time that either site has received a bid. 2012-2014 will mark a three year span where the Frozen Four will take place in a non-traditional college hockey city (2012 Frozen Four will be in Tampa).

While these Pennsylvania cities are not college hockey hotbeds they should be good venues. Both rinks are top notch and host NHL teams. I've been to Philly plenty of times for Phillies games and the NCAA Lacrosse Final Four and I have to say that it is a fun city with plenty to do... especially if you love cheesesteaks! I'm definitely going to Gino's and/or Pat's for some steaks in 2014. I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I bet it's a half decent city (I'm sure Kevin Zalaznik is very excited and can fill us in on some fun things to do in the city). Hopefully for both weekends the Pirates and Phillies will be in town. Citizens Bank is one of my favorite stadiums to watch a game (even though I'm a Mets fan), and PNC is supposed to be a very nice park as well.

Even though Philly and P-Burgh are not guaranteed to be successful venues I like where the NCAA is going with this experiment. Hey, at least it won't be in half of an indoor football stadium like this past year in Detroit!

Oh and just so you know it takes around five hours and 300 miles to get from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.

For more check out USCHO.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...