red bulls nba team

Monday, July 19, 2010

Interview with Ken Schott

This week's interview is with Ken Schott, who to me is the King of College Hockey... at least in the capital region (haha), and covers Union Hockey for the Daily Gazette (the Schenectady paper). Not only does Mr. Schott have the coolest hockey name on the planet (pronounced shot), but he's like a walking, talking sports encyclopedia. Through my experience with Ken it is obvious that he is the ultimate sports fan. He truly lives and dies with his favorite teams.

As a reporter one must be unbiased at all times while on the job, which is something I learned very early on from Ken (which is something he probably doesn't even remember). The first time I ever sat in the press box during a Union Hockey game was my freshman year when I was just dabbling in sports journalism. The Sports Information person for the men's hockey team at the time (who I believe was Hilary Haynes) invited me to take in a game from the press box since I just signed on to cover the team for the Concordiensis (previously I was just taking some small notes while sitting in the student section). And I vividly remember at one point in the game the Dutchmen scored a big goal right under us, and I pumped my fist and yelled out a loud "Yeah!" Right when I did this I looked a few seats down from me where I saw Ken waving his finger at me signaling not to do that. That was my first lesson on press box decorum, even though I should have realized it.

I still have some trouble controlling my emotions during games, since deep down inside I am a big Union Hockey fan... you can only imagine how I was feeling during the 50t game against Quinnipiac! But, I believe that caring about the team that you cover makes your coverage better and more meaningful. That is another thing I learned from Ken. Even though he is an unbiased reporter I think he too deep down inside really cares about the Union Hockey program and everyone involved. The best example of this came after Union's 2-1 victory over Quinnipiac to clinch a trip to the ECAC Final Four for the first time. I remember standing in the lobby of Messa Rink watching all the fans line up to buy tickets for the following weekend, and seeing among the crowd a teary eyed Ken Schott. Ken then proceeded to seek out Union Athletic Director Jim McLaughlin and give him a big hug. I think Ken might have been the happiest and most proud person in the arena at that moment. That pure feeling of being so overcome with joy because your team has won that it drives you to tears is something that I want to feel someday (but I highly doubt it considering I'm a Mets, Jets, Nets, and Islanders fan).

This was what Ken brings to rink every night: emotion. Every game that I've ever worked at Messa Rink, Ken is always one of the first to show up and the last to leave. He is always into all aspects of the game from the game play itself, to the in between periods entertainment, and the music played throughout the game... Ken always gets into Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" which is played in between the second and third periods. He's always having fun and is almost like a super-fan.

In many ways I am striving to be like Mr. Schott in my own career. I can tell how much he loves his job, and how much he enjoys being at the rink. Hopefully one day I can love my job as much as Ken does. But for now, I will try to learn as much as possible from him in my final year in Schenectady.

DG: Where are you from? What high school did you go to?
KS: I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I am a 1981 graduate of Holy Ghost Prep.

DG: Did you play any sports in high school?
KS: I played on the tennis team in my junior and senior years. The school started the sport my junior year. I was a statistician for the basketball team my junior and senior years, and I was a scout for the baseball team my senior year. I did play intramural street hockey all four years.

DG:Where did you go to college and what was your major? Did you play any sports there?
KS: I went to York College of PA., and graduated with a Bachelor's degree in speech communications (Radio/TV). I didn't play sports at YCP, but I was the statistician for the men's basektball team all four years, the baseball team my freshman and sophomore years and the women's volleyball team my junior and senior years. I also called play-by-play of men's and women's basketball, and baseball for the college radio station, WVYC.

DG: What are your favorite pro sports teams?
KS: Philadelphia Flyers, Phillies, and Eagles.

DG: Do you have any nicknames?
KS: Back in high school, when I had hair and it was permed, I was called "Hindu." Now, it's basically "Schooter."

DG: When did you start your sports journalism career?
KS: November 1983. I took a journalism class the fall semester of my junior year. It was taught by two editors from the York Daily Record, and one of the requirements was to do a one-day internship at the paper. My assignment was to cover the Baltimore Orioles playing a charity basketball game at a high school in Southern York County. It was right after they had beaten the Phillies in the World Series. The sports editor liked what I had written and asked if I wanted to do some part-time work. I said, "Yes." The rest is history.

DG: Tell us about your job with the Daily Gazette.
KS: I am the college hockey writer for the paper. I also write a sports TV/Radio column every Saturday. I am also a copy editor. I also write the Parting Schotts blog and produced videos for or Website, http://www.dailygazette.com/.

DG: What is your most favorite aspect about your job?
KS: Being able to cover a sport I love, hockey, and interact with fans.

DG: What is your favorite thing to do when you're not working?
KS: Being able to spend time with my son Steven and talk sports. He's into baseball, hockey, and bowling.

DG: How long have you been covering Union Hockey?
KS: I will begin my 20th year in October.

DG:What is the most memorable game you've covered?
KS: Wow, where do I begin? I have covered two of the longest games in men's college hockey history (both Union losses, to Quinnipiac in March and Yale four years ago), and also covered the fourth-longest game (Boston U. - St. Lawrence in the NCAA East Regional in 2000). But, I have to rank three games as most memorable. Union's 7-2 win over Clarkson on March 7, 2009, which clinched their first playoff series win at the Division I level. The 2-1 win over Quinnipiac on March 14 that put Union in the ECAC semifinals for the first time, and the 3-1 semifinal victory over St. Lawrence six days later.

DG: Where is your favorite place to take in a college hockey game?
KS: I like Dartmouth's Thompson Arena. Press box on the side. Great View. Quinnipiac's TD Bank Sports Center is nice too, but the the lack of heat is a drawback.

DG: What place will Union finish in the ECAC regular season standings in 2010-11?
KS: Third place is a good bet.

DG: Who is the team to beat in the ECAC?
KS: Cornell

DG: What will be the key for the Dutchmen next season?
KS: They will need to replace the scoring lost by Mario Valery-Trabucco, Jason Walters, and Mike Schreiber. They are solid on defense and in goal.

DG: Who do you think will have a breakout season for Union this year?
KS: Wayne Simpson showed some flashes in his freshman season, but spent too much time being too fancy and not shooting the puck enough. With a year under his belt, I believe he will have an outstanding sophomore year.

DG: Will Coach Nate Leaman leave for a bigger and better job soon?
KS: It's going to have to be the right job for him to consider it.

DG: Will any Dutchman from any of the recent teams make it to the NHL? Does anyone even have a shot?
KS: Right now, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...