red bulls nba team

Friday, August 13, 2010

Interview with Union Goalie Coach Jason Tapp

After going on a small hiatus from the weekly interview I am back with a very cool interview. This week's interview is with Jason Tapp, who is the Union goalie coach and the newest member of the Union coaching staff. Last season was Tapp's first season in Schenectady.

Prior to the interview I knew Tapp would be an interesting guy considering his college and pro experiences. He played at Boston University under college hockey legend Jack Parker. Also while with the Terriers he shared time in between the pipes with current New York Islanders goaltender Rick DiPietro, who signed an infamous 15 year, $67.5 million deal a few years ago. Being an Islanders fan (yes we're out there) let's just say DiPi isn't my favorite player... I'm more of a Wade Dubielewicz kind of guy haha. Tapp was also able to play minor pro hockey for a few years where he put up some good stats.

But, what I did not know about Tapp prior to the interview was that he is a bad a$$. First off, Tapp has his own Wikipedia page which is pretty damn cool if you ask me. Secondly, when reading his page there is a section called "fights." I instantly went to that part of the page where it said Tapp has been in three hockey fights in his pro career. While I'm not a fan of goons in hockey, watching goalies go at it might be one of the most fun and exciting events to be seen in a hockey game. I remember going to my first Rangers-Islanders game in 1998 where Rangers goaltender Dan Cloutier beat the crap out of Islanders goaltender Tommy Salo, and being so excited and pumped up. I will never forget that game. All hockey goalies are a little "nuts" to begin with, but one's that are willing to throw down the gloves more than once can be boarder line crazy... which is awesome. But, that's not all. The best thing on Tapp's Wikipedia page is the line that says "Jason Tapp is known for his calling on goalies from opposing teams with a 'chicken dance' before he fights them. He pulls this often, but rarely gets a response." Now this is down right awesome! I might have to do a follow up interview with Tapp about his fight career and this supposed "chicken dance." So, I checked out YouTube to see if there were any clips of his fights and there were... Let me tell you Tapper LOVES to scrap! You have to love some of the comments about Tapp from the videos. My favorite probably is , "Hockey would be better with more crazy goalies like Tapp."

Even though Tapp's playing career is over hockey is still his life. He recently opened up X-Factor Goaltending and was named the Head Coach of the Christian Brothers Academy hockey team. Union had one of the best goaltending tandems in all of college hockey and you have to believe Tapp played a big role in that success.
Oh, and if you love Tapp you might want to buy an autographed jersey from his days with the Quad City Mallards.

DG: Where are you from and where did you go to high school?
JT: I am from Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. I graduated from Merritt Secondary School in 1997 where I was playing Junior hockey at the time.

DG: When did you start playing hockey?
JT: I started skating at age four and played on my first team at age five.

DG: What was it like playing for Boston University and Head Coach Jack Parker?
JT: Playing at BU was a tremendous experience. Although I didn't play anywhere near my potential, I still valued and enjoyed my four years in Boston. Jack Parker is a legend in college hockey. I incorporate many of the things that I learned from Coach Parker and at BU in my own coaching and teaching now.

DG: Tell us about your pro hockey career.
JT: I played seven years of minor pro hockey in various leagues in both the US and Europe. I played the game I love and met many lifelong friends. Those seven years were my most enjoyable years playing the game.

DG: Who is the best hockey player you've ever played with?
JT: To answer this question, I would have to go back to my BU days. Ryan Whitney (currently of the Edmonton Oilers and member of the 2010 USA Olympic team) was young and had enormous potential. You knew he was going to be in the NHL. As for goalies, I would say Michel Laroque (three games with the Chicago Blackhawks). He was my goal partner my freshman year and had a major hand in every game we won that year.

DG: What goaltender do you look up to?
JT: As a kid growing up in BC, Kirk McLean of the Vancouver Canucks was my favorite. Currently I enjoy watching Ryan Miller play. He always seems to make the game look very simple.

DG: What is you favorite moment as a hockey player?
JT: My favorite moment as a hockey player is when I recorded a shutout against my brother when we played Junior 'A' hockey against one another.

DG: How did you become a volunteer assistant coach at Union?
JT: I was working with Tim Gerrish, Sr. last summer and we were talking about coaching opportunities in the area. He mentioned that Union was looking for a volunteer assistant. I contacted Nate (Head Coach Nate Leaman) and interviewed for the position.

DG: What do you do as volunteer assistant/ goalie coach?
JT: As for the goalie aspect, I design goalie practices and work with our goaltenders. I watch video of games as well as recruiting videos. I am usually up in the box above center ice during games. From this spot, I have a different vantage point to see what is working and isn't working and I relay this information to the coaches during intermission. I also participate in practices.

DG: Tell us about Keith Kinkaid and Corey Milan. What is your relationship like with them?
JT: Corey and Keith are both talented goalies. They have strong work ethics. I believe the healthy competition between the two of them forces them to be better goalies. I would feel comfortable with either one of them in net. They both can win us hockey games. I think I have a good relationship with both of them. I try to pass along some of my experiences in some of the things I dealt with to help them better handle the situation and reach their fullest potential.

DG: What is X-Factor Goaltending?
JT: X-Factor Goaltending is my goaltending training company I started a year ago in the Capital District. I work with many goalies in the area from mites to goalies playing in men's league. I work with several different teams. I also run clinics, camps, and private lessons.

DG: What do you like to do in your spare time?
JT: My spare time is limited, but when I do get a day to myself I enjoy golfing or taking my chocolate lab Tucker for a walk in the woods.
DG: If you were going to create a helmet for a Union goaltender what would it look like?
JT: A goalie's helmet is a way for them to express their personality. I wouldn't even want to begin to design a helmet for another goalie.
DG: What are your pads of choice?
JT: When I played I was always an ITech goalie. I believe they have recently been bought out by Bauer.
DG: What do you have to say about Colin Stevens? It has been reported that he will be coming to Union in 2012.
JT: I work with Colin a lot. I think Colin has a very high ceiling, he has a great attitude and work ethic. If he continues to put forth the effort he has shown I believe he will be an outstanding college goaltender and have an opportunity to play after.

For more on Tapp check out Union Athletics.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...