red bulls nba team

Thursday, April 20, 2006

I'm just back from Game 1 of a double-header between the University of Texas and Texas Tech here in Lubbock, a 6-0 Longhorn win. The big story is that UT pitcher Cat Osterman came very close to yet another no-hitter -- and a perfect game, even.

Other than a fifth-inning infield hit when the Red Raiders' Whitney Riley beat out a grounder to short, Osterman faced the minimum number of batters. I was sitting on the third-base side, so I didn't have a good view of the play at first base. Two other balls were well hit by Texas Tech -- a high fly to left that almost reached the warning track and a hard liner to short -- but Longhorn fielders caught the ball each time.

This was the first time I had seen Osterman pitch in person. Moreso than when watching her on television, I was really struck with how tall and thin she is.

Game 2, which I did not stay for, is currently underway. I just verified from a gametracker that Meagan Denny is pitching for UT, as would be expected from past Longhorn double-headers. As recently as Monday of this week, Lubbock temperatures were in the 90s (F.), but today has been gray and rainy throughout, including showers through most of Game 1. Today's high temperature probably reached into the 60s, but it was in the mid-50s at the time of this writing. The winds were also starting to kick up.

You can check the Texas Tech and UT softball websites (via the links on the right-hand side of this page) throughout the evening for game stories on both parts of the twin-bill. Also, I took some pictures at the game, which I will post in the next few days.

Update: Game 2 cancelled midway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...